Sunday, January 20, 2013

2009-05-17 Southwest Face of Halfdome Attempt

I wanted to climb int he Valley so badly.  So I did what any desperate young man would do.  I found a random guy on the internet and asked if he wanted to climb with me.  Things started off great but over halfway up the classic climb, clouds set in and we heard thunder. We knew this meant BAIL. So we joined with the following group of 5 and rapped down the climb. An hour later, we were slammed in an insane Thunder/Lightening/Rain/Hail storm!

Beta



Gearing Up

Hiking In







 Getting to the base




The Climb








The Storm and Bailing




Hiking Back



We made a good call.  Bailing is never fun, especially when you are so fixated on reaching the summit.  But we got down just in time and made some good memories.  When you are young, it is easy to get caught up in the summit fever.  These were decisions made early in my climbing career.  

No comments:

Post a Comment